For this month's challenge the theme is pop-up cards using the amazing new General Pop-Ups dies from Elizabeth Craft Designs. For my card, I combined several stamp sets, dies and other fun products to create a bird-themed holiday card. I also went with a fun accent of aqua to add some non-traditional pizzazz! The video is a bit long because of the coloring and complexity of construction, but I hope you will follow along.
For today's challenge Elizabeth Craft Designs is giving away a $20 Gift Card to three lucky winners!
To enter simply click here to leave a comment on the Elizabeth Craft Designs Challenge post telling them "What Elizabeth Craft Designs dies or stamp sets would you use with the General Pop Ups die set if you were making a Pop Up Card?" Comments left on my blog are appreciated, but will not enter you into the giveaway. You must comment on the Elizabeth Craft Designs November Challenge post. Thanks!
They will select 3 lucky winners in a random drawing to be announced on Black Friday, November 24, 2017 on the Elizabeth Craft Designs blog. Good luck!
Here’s how I made the card:
1. Stamp the two birds with mistletoe stamp and the bird garland stamp from the Reindeer &Birds Clear Stamps, the birds on the presents stamp from the Snowman & Gifts Clear Stamps, and the bushy tree from the Holiday Trees & Ornaments Clear Stamps in permanent black ink on to 85 lb. White Soft Finish Cardstock. Color with your desired medium; I used Spectrum Noir Markers (colors listed above). Die cut out with the matching dies (not pictured).
2. Cut a piece of 85 lb. White Soft Finish Cardstock to 4 ¼” x 3 ½”. Adhere stripes of 6 mm Clear Double Sided Adhesive Tape diagonally across it (starting corner to corner across the middle is easiest), eyeballing for roughly equal spacing between stripes. Once the paper is covered, trim off the excess tape from the edges of the paper. Remove the backing from the tape on half of the piece and cover with True Red Silk Microfine Glitter. Tap off the excess glitter and then burnish (aka rub) the glitter on to the tape with your finger to bring out the shine. Brush off the excess glitter with a soft brush and repeat on the other half of the paper until you have a lovely piece of candy cane striped glitter paper.
3. Cut a piece of 85 lb. White Soft Finish Cardstock to 4 ¼” x 11” and fold in half with the texture on the inside to create the inside base of your pop-up card. Take the pop-up die with 2 steps from the General Pop-Ups die set and line up the nubs on the sides of the die with the inside center fold on the card base, in about the middle of the line. Run through a die cutter and remove the die. Push the two steps that have been die cut into the card base forward (toward the inside) and fold the card closed to train the folds on the newly die cut pop-up mechanism. Cut a small piece of 6 mm Clear Double Sided Adhesive Tape and adhere it to the front face of the upper step on the pop-up mechanism. Trim most of the tree trunk off of your stamped and colored tree and press it on to the adhesive on the upper step, slightly to the left to adhere it in place. Repeat the process with the birds and presents on the lower step, placing them slightly to the right to complete the pop-up portion of the inside of the card.
4. To complete the inside of the card, die cut 1 of the die with the circular chain from the Jewels 1 die out of Rich Black Soft Finish Cardstock. Create a piece of red glitter paper using the same method from Step 2 to create the candy cane paper. But instead of creating stripes with tape, you will cover an entire piece of paper sized to 3” x 1 7/8” with a Clear Double Sided Adhesive Sheet and then coat in True Red Silk Microfine Glitter and burnish for the shine. Stamp the “Merry Christmas” greeting from the Christmas Collection Clear Stamps on to a piece of 85 lb. White Soft Finish Cardstock in detail black ink and trim to 2 ¾” x 1 5/8”. Find the stamped and colored bird garland and some Red/Gold Glitter Dots.
Adhere the black Jewels 1 die cut to the lower border of the inside card base with liquid glue. Adhere the die cut bird garland to the upper border of the inside of the card base with liquid glue. Add 6 mm Clear Double Sided Adhesive Tape to the back of the Merry Christmas piece and adhere into the center of the red glitter cardstock. Add adhesive tape to the back of the glitter piece and adhere it behind the pop-up tree in the center of the upper half of the card base. Complete the black chain border at the bottom of the card base by adding 3 different sized glitter dots to circles on the chain and trim off any excess hanging over the sides of the card base.
5. To complete the outside of the card cut a piece of 100 lb. white cardstock to 4 ¼” x 11” and fold in half to create a card base. Find the candy cane striped glitter card created in Step 2, and also trim a piece of the aqua cupcakes patterned paper from the ModaScrap It’s Time for Christmas 6 x 6 paper pack to 3 ¾” x 3”. Stamp the “Candy Cane Wishes, Mistletoe Kisses” sentiment from the Holiday Cheer Clear Stamps on to a piece of 85 lb. White Soft Finish Cardstock and trim down to 3 ½” x 2 ¾”, keeping the sentiment near the bottom so the birds with mistletoe stamped and colored image will fit above it. Cut 2 strips of Olive Twist Soft Finish Cardstock to 4 ¼” x ¼”. Die cut 2 more of the circular chain die from the Jewels 1 die set out of Rich Black Soft Finish Cardstock.
Mat the white greeting piece into the center of the aqua patterned paper using 6 mm Clear Double Sided Adhesive Tape. Repeat with the aqua piece into the center of the candy cane glitter stripe paper. Add 3 mm Clear Double Sided Adhesive Tape to the upper and lower back edges of the glitter paper. Adhere the Olive Twist strips to the back of the striped glitter piece leaving about a 1/8” border showing on the front of either edge of the glittered paper. Now adhere the entire matted piece in the center of the front of the white card base. Use liquid glue to adhere the 2 birds with mistletoe image in the center of the white piece above the greeting and the die cut black chain borders into the white spaces at the top and bottom of the card front. Finish the chain borders off with different sizes of the Red/Gold Glitter Dots (4 for each chain) spread randomly across them and trim off any excess of the die cuts hanging off the sides of the card front.
6. To complete the card, add 10 mm Clear Double Sided Adhesive Tape to the back sides of the inner card base being careful not to place tape over the pop-up openings. Remove the backing from the upper half of the inner card base and line up with the fold of the outside card base and press the outside card base on to the inner card base. Repeat for the lower half to adhere the inside and outside card bases together. Trim off any portion of the card bases that is showing unattractively on the inside and/or outside edges. Enjoy!
The links below are compensated affiliate links. This means if you make a purchase using one of these links, I receive a small commission that adds no cost to you. This helps me be able to run this blog and I truly appreciate your support!! Please see Terms & Conditions for more details. Thanks!!